The reading program is designed to help your child
develop reading skills and strategies needed to become an independent
reader. The program includes small group reading and writing support as a
supplement to the regular classroom reading program. Reading
classes meet two to five times each week for approximately thirty
minutes per day.
During this time, students are engaged in word building activities,
sight word practice, guided reading groups, independent reading, and
written expression assignments. The students may work alone, with a
buddy or small group, or one-one with me. Ongoing assessments are used
to plan instruction that addresses the needs of the students.
You, as a parent, have an important role in your child’s reading
growth. Daily reading at home is important in supporting your child’s
This is a second grade leveled list for you and your child to read at home.
- Frog and Toad books by Arnold Lobel
- Morris and Boris series by Bernard
- George and Martha
- Danny and the Dinosaur
- Picture Book biography series by David Adler
- Cam Jansen series by David Adler
- Arthur books by Marc Brown
- Ramona books by Beverly Cleary
- Jenny Archer books by Ellen Conford
- Kids of Polk Street School Series by Patricia Reilly Giff
- Johanna Hurwitz books
- Horrible Harry books by Suzy Kline
- Amelia Bedelia books by Peggy Parish
- Junie B. Jones by Barbara Parks
- Henry and Mudge by Cynthia Rylant
- Marvin Redpost books by Sachar
- Nate the Great by Marjorie Sharmat
- Matt Christopher books
- Encyclopedia Brown by Donald Sobel
- Boxcar Children
- My Father’s Dragon
- Great Illustrated Classics
- Debbie Dadey
- Amber Brown by Paula Danziger
- Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
- Reading Rockets – This site contains a wealth of information to guide parents in raising a reader.
- Early Literacy Resources – This site includes links to many resources including books, articles, studies, and web sites.
- Nursery Rhymes – Traditional nursery rhymes found on the enchanted learning website.
- Funschool Rhyme Time
– This game will open in a new window. You may return to Blackboard by
clicking the RED X in the upper right corner. Remember to scroll down to
get to the activity.
- Animal Safari
- Dinosaur Jokes – ha ha ha!